Sunday, August 7, 2011

Don't Forget

Tonight at church we had a short service to pray for those of us heading back to school in the next few days. A powerpoint was shown that scrolled through the names of every child K-12 that attends my church. One was missing. My own. It will long be debated who was responsible for this unfortunate typo, whether it be my beloved preacher Adam or the church secretary (aka, my mother). But rather than sulk in the immense shame of being forgotten, I remembered a verse about names & remembering. Isaiah 26:8 says,
"In the path of your judgments,
O Lord, we wait for you;
your name and remembrance
are the desire of our soul."
This is an interesting verse for me to think about. Is the name of the Lord really the desire of my soul? Is it the desire of my soul to remember God? Not his blessings, not his miracles, not his Providence- just remembering his name. This is easier said than done in a world that is constantly hurling messages that propose the opposite. But even if I acknowledge that the mere thought of the Lord, Creator, Savior, King, and God of this world is able to change everything about me, is it the desire of my soul all the time? Even when I'm in the path of judgment, I am to desire God. So, even when God is punishing me for the times I've forgotten him, I am to desire him. Why? Because I worship a perfect God that created me for a perfect reason and wants me to fulfill his perfect plan. He wants to make me the best I can be. That's why he blesses me, that's why he punishes me, and that's why he needs to be the desire of my soul.



No comments:

Post a Comment