Tuesday, September 20, 2011

The Presence of Greatness

Today I was having a conversation with someone who said, "Last night was one of the few times that I knew that I was truly in the presence of greatness," when referring to hearing Maya Angelou speak. She said it impacted how she acted, how she thought, how she responded, and how she felt. It caused me to think about the times I've been "in the presence of greatness." I have talked to the Duchess of York, stood within 5 feet of Reba McIntire, cheered for the Titans in LP Field, seen Phantom of the Opera on Broadway, and heard the Nashville Symphony perform. But all of the talent, wisdom, and character of the figures I thought of pales in comparison to the greatness that I am in the presence of every day. 

Psalm 139:7 says, "Where can I go from your Spirit? Or where can I flee from your presence?" 

God is always around us all of the time. He is omnipresent.  We should be more than star-struck to know that our all-powerful God is willing to be near us all of the time, always available to speak with us. We need to be ceaselessly thankful for the fact that he didn't just leave us an autograph, but a 66-book-long love letter that teaches us how to live. It should affect how we think and how we act more than being in the presence of any human. We should be more excited to worship and praise our God than we are to praise our favorite performer or athlete. We should constantly acknowledge how blessed we are to always be in the presence of the ultimate greatness.

No comments:

Post a Comment