Monday, October 17, 2011

Finding Yourself

As a senior in high school I hear a lot about how my time in high school and college will be spent "finding myself." I don't think anyone really knows what that means, but they sure do say it a lot. I'm constantly told that I should travel, study, and experiment in order to "find myself." Not only that, but it's my understanding that "finding myself" will be a lifelong and constantly changing experience. Interestingly enough, the Bible says quite the opposite. Matthew 10:39 says,
"Whoever finds his life will lose it, and whoever loses his life for my sake will find it."


I don't need to spend the rest of my life worrying about who I am or what I'm supposed to do with my life. I don't need to study 5011 different subjects in order to figure out what I'm interested in. I don't have to be like Thoreau and hide myself away in a cabin for a year in order to prioritize my life. I don't have to go through a gamut of careers to find my one certain destiny. I just have to serve God and trust that his plan is greater than mine and that he is in total control. In order to find myself I have to get lost in Christ. Rather than finding myself and fulfilling my desires, I need to commit my life to finding Christ and fulfilling his calling. I don't need to find myself to become myself. I need to lose myself to become more like Christ. I lose myself for him because he lost everything for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment