Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Smarter Than Me

Radio host Harold Camping, the man known for predicting several different dates for the end of the world, did several video interviews in the days leading up to the infamous May 21, 2011. One radio phone-in recorded was of a woman who had been watching a lot of news about Harold Camping and his history of incorrect predictions. She told Camping that seen a lot of negative press about him, but that is what led her to believing that he was correct. She said, "I figured, 'Well, he's smarter than me, so I'll listen to him.'"

This is the problem with most Christians. Rather than dig into the Scriptures and hear what God is saying, we rely on the flawed words of man. II Timothy 3:16-17 says, "All scripture is breathed out by God and is profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correcting, and for training in righteousness, that the man of God may be competent, equipped for every good work."
God has breathed out his perfect word, and it can save all souls and withstand all criticism. Not only that, but the verse says that the man of God can be competent with it. He did not say, "only those educated," or "only Bible scholars" can be equipped. All of God's people are capable of handling the Scriptures with confidence. Why would we take a human's word over this? The Bereans of Acts 17 searched the Scripture when Paul preached to them, because they wanted to make sure that they were following God and not Paul. To me, if anyone could preach the gospel correctly, it would be Paul. But he was still human and needed to be held to the standard of the Bible. Paul goes on to say in I Corinthians 1 that listening to men encourages divisions within the church.

"For it has been reported to me by Chloe’s people that there is quarreling among you, my brothers.What I mean is that each one of you says, "I follow Paul," or "I follow Apollos," or "I follow Cephas," or "I follow Christ." Is Christ divided? Was Paul crucified for you? Or were you baptized in the name of Paul? I thank God that I baptized none of you except Crispus and Gaius, so that no one may say that you were baptized in my name. (I did baptize also the household of Stephanas. Beyond that, I do not know whether I baptized anyone else.) For Christ did not send me to baptize but to preach the gospel, and not with words of eloquent wisdom, lest the cross of Christ be emptied of its power."

We should be dedicated to learning more about God and his love so that we may come to love him more. Preachers, scientists, and motivational speakers did not die for the sake of our salvation. Christ, the Word, did. Though men lead us to know more, we must make sure that they too are seeking God's truth and love in his Word, not a self-seeking opinion or misinterpretation.

No comments:

Post a Comment