Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Day 2: Prayer & Maseca

If I described myself as a sweaty beast yesterday, then there are simply no words to describe me today and the 11 days to come. after overcoming an epic migraine I slept until 5:45 when I was awoken by an unfortunate sounding dog. Luckily this was the disgusting deaf dog (King) and not the evil demon dog (Diablo) who attacked our poor ginger friend Alan last year. We got up to head to a local school across the river, but school was not in session today due to an ongoing nationwide teacher strike. Instead we went to visit Adelaida, who we believe is now 97. Adelaida has worked with Cristo Salva since its conception about 20 years ago. She is well known throughout Macuelizo for her spirituality. She has written books on her various trials from losing her family to floating on a board in her flooded city for 3 days. There is nothing she loves more than prayer. She prayed for us and was inexpressibly grateful for our presence, as always. I got to go inside her house this time and see her home. Though small, it was beautiful, particularly the brick oven, which was the bomb. I also have a new BFF, and by BFF I mean, an older male who likes to stand very close to me and whisper in my ear for long periods of time. His name is Charlie and he's Adelaida's son. We then went to a bilingual school (Morning Star), which made me feel stupid because most of the kids could speak more English and Spanish than I could either. Jen, who moved from Massachusettes to Honduras, works at the school. She has a two year contract as a volunteer and is barely making it financially. We then returned to the farm to pack food bags. I packed Maseca (tortilla flour), which was an epic disaster. It was everywhere. We delivered the food to several families, who gladly welcomed us in. However, a highlight of my trip occured during the break.
The farm is covered with incredibly unfortunate birds, called guineaus. These guineaus sound about as bad as they look, making a sound similar to that of  a rusty swing.
Mr. Ray: (jokingly) Those birds need some WD-40
Brian goes to the cabinet & grabs a bottle of something
Brian: Will this work?
Mr. Ray: (again, obviously joking) Sure!
Brian then proceeded to run outside and chase the guineaus, covering them in termite foam. This was obviously damaging to the guineaus. We may never let Brian live this one down.
We ended the night at Pastor Gladys's church, which is the home church of the most beautiful boy I've ever seen. He very well may be perfect, except for the fact he lives a little far away & doesn't speak much English.
-Namaste-
Morning Star Bilingual School

No comments:

Post a Comment