Saturday, May 28, 2011

Just take the ticket

Today I bought a ticket for the local Lions' Club Memorial Day Barbeque Dinner, which benefits the Tennessee School for the Blind. I got in line to get my food and tried to hand the lady my tickets so I could go through the line. I started getting frustrated with the lady because she was clearly not paying attention to me. I was thinking, "Just take the ticket!" Then I realized that she was blind. I was getting frustrated with her for not understanding that she needed to take my ticket, but she didn't even know I was there. She couldn't see me standing there. The same thing happens with the gospel.

II Corinthians 4 says, "the god of this world has blinded the minds of unbelievers, to keep them from seeing the light of the gospel of the glory of Christ, who is the image of God. For what we proclaim is not ourselves, but Jesus Christ as Lord, with ourselves as your servants for Jesus's sake. For God, who said, 'Let light shine out of darkness,' has shone in our hearts to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ."

Unbelievers live in blindness. They can't see the glory of the gospel of Christ. When Christians try to convey the incredibleness of the gospel, these unbelievers may just hear facts. They are so blinded by what this world has taught them to believe that they can't understand how immaculate the gospel is. Christians get frustrated by this. I have a God that is so indescribably glorious that I can't help but see his glory in everything, so it's hard for me to comprehend why everyone else can't see it just as clearly.

People live in darkness without the light of the gospel. Their hearts are like the unformed world. But God said, "Let there be light," and there was light. He does the same thing in the hearts of man. God can take a heart that is completely blinded by Satan and make light shine in it. This light is the glory of the gospel of Christ. God's love can flip a switch in someone and allow them to see what the world has not allowed them to see. God's glory is so bright that no amount of darkness could subdue it, but if your mind is blind, it doesn't matter how bright it is, because all you see is darkness. Luckily, we worship a God who can make the blind man see.

No comments:

Post a Comment